Fletcher Clan Crest: A demi blue bloodhound, langued Gules, gorged with a ducal crown.
Fletcher Clan Motto: Dieu Pour nous (God for us).
Fletcher Clan History:
The surname of Fletcher originates from the Gaelic meaning 'arrow maker' and is therefore to be found across Scotland. Fletchers followed the clans who employed them. In Argyll, they were associated with the Campbells and Stewarts, and in Perthshire, with Clan Gregor.
Henry Fletcher was Burgess of Forfar in 1374; Patrick Flegean was Dean of Christianity in Inverness in 1461. It is allegedly on record that the Fletchers of Saltoun and Innerpeffer are direct descendants of Sir Bernard Fletcher of York, in England.
For several centuries, a family of Fletcher owned Achallader in Glen Tulla, and in the 16th century entered into a bond ceding their lands to the Campbells of Glenorchy. Archibald Fletcher, 9th Chief, supported the 1715 Uprising. During the 1745 Uprising, Fletchers fought on both sides, thus avoiding forfeiture following the Jacobite defeat at the Battle of Culloden. In the century that followed, however, the majority of Fletcher clansmen were cleared by the Campbells of Breadalbane from Glenorchy to make way for sheep grazing ground. and many emigrated overseas. In 1911, the Fletcher Chiefship became dormant with the death of the 14th Chief in New York.
Andrew Fletcher of Saltoun (1653-1716) strongly opposed the Act of Union which, in 1707, dissolved the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh, of which he was a member, and merged it with the English Parliament at Westminster.
Surname distribution in Scotland: The highest concentrations of the Fletcher name occur in Argyll and Bute (includes most of the historic county of Argyll, the Isle of Bute and part of Dunbartonshire) and Renfrewshire.
Places of Interest:
Dunans Castle, Glendarvel, Argyllshire. A branch of the Fletchers moved to Argyll from Achallader when they were driven out of Glenorchy by the Campbells of Breadalbane.
Saltoun Hall, East Lothian. The estate was bought by the Fletchers of Innerpeffer in 1643. it was the home of the Scottish Patriot, Andrew Fletcher of Saltoun, but is now divided into apartments.