MacLeod of Raasay Clan
MacLeod of Raasay Clan Crest: The sun in splendour.
MacLeod of Raasay Clan Motto: Luceo Non Uro (I shine, not burn).
History of Clan MacLeod of Raasay:
The MacLeods of Raasay descend from Torquil, the second son of Leod (“Siol Torquil”), and became Senior Cadets of the MacLeods of Lewis. In 1571, they acquired a Royal Charter for the lands of Assynt in Sutherland. In 1650, after the Battle of Carbisdale, the wife of Neil of Assynt offered shelter to the defeated Marquis of Montrose at Ardvreck Castle and then betrayed him to the Marquis of Argyll, a deed for which she and her husband were much despised.
Unlike their kinsmen, the MacLeods of Dunvegan, the MacLeods of Raasay followed Prince Charles Edward Stuart during the 1745 Jacobite Uprising. Fortunately, the stance taken by MacLeod of Dunvegan in not following the Prince worked to the advantage of the other Clan members and protected them from the widespread revenge inflicted upon the Highlands and Islands by the Hanovarian Government following the Battle of Culloden.
In 1988, Torquil MacLeod of Raasay was recognised by the Lord Lyon King of Arms as MacLeod of the Lewes, “Chief and Head of that Baronial House under MacLeod of MacLeod.” Roderick John Macleod, succeded his father, Torquil Roderick Macleod as 18th Chief of the Macleods of Raasay in 2001. He is the patron of the Raasay House Community Company. His son Alastair Loudoun Macleod is to be his successor.
Norman Macleod (1780-1866), was born at Assynt and emigrated to Pictou, Nova Scotia where he formed a feudal community. In 1822, he and his followers moved to Cape Breton, then in 1851 to Australia and New Zealand.
Places of Interest:
Clachan, Isle of Raasay. Ancient seat of the MacLeods of Raasay.
Ardvreck Castle, Assynt, Sutherland. Built towards the end of the 16th century, only ruins remain.
Brochel Castle, Isle of Raasay. The ruined home of the MacLeods of Raasay can still be seen.
Raasay House, Isle of Raasay. Built in the 1730's, the Georgian mansion was purchased from Highlands and Islands Enterprise by the Raasay House Community Company. Gutted by fire during renovation work in 2009, the rebuild is scheduled for completion in 2012, after which time it will become an activity centre and base for sea kayakers, abseilers, hill walkers and mountain bikers.